Monday, June 22, 2009

The boys are doing great!

The boys continue to make wonderful progress. They are both now 3.5 lbs each! It seems like just a few days ago I was celebrating them hitting the 3lb mark. Before we know it they will be 4 lbs. They seem to gain about 1 to 1.5 ounces each night. They are going to start trying to bottle feed them this week. I asked a nurse yesterday if doing so would confuse them since they are also trying to learn to breastfeed, but she said no, that that don't know how to do anything at this point and that often times bottle feeding them will help them with the breastfeeding.

We still don't know when they will come home and the doctors NEVER give any indication as to when that might be. I guess they don't like to give false hope. In fact, our favorite doctor has a "Magic 8 Ball" program on his iPhone so when parents ask him when their baby can go home he takes out his phone and shakes it, ha. If I had to guess I think/hope they will come home in another 3 weeks. Everybody always wonders if they can come home when they hit 5 lbs but their weight will have nothing to do with when they are released. Instead Brandon and Colin will need to do the following for several days:

maintain their temperature in an open crib (and not a heated isolette)
go so many days without having any spells
be able to feed (bottle and/or breastfeed) and keep the food down

As for the "spells" (where their heart rate and/or respiratory rate drops down), those seem to be occuring less often and rarely require physical stimulation. Thank goodness!

Oh, and for those people that came to me shower this past Saturday please email me a few pictures! Don't bother including pictures of me with my mouth full or with goofy expressions ;-) I would like to post a couple of pictures here, especially of the baby quilts.

Well time to get ready for Mom to pick me up and take me to NICU. She does that on Mondays and Wednesdays and Dad takes me up on Fridays, which allows me to ride home with Bill since he comes up those days after work. Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment