Monday, June 1, 2009

Monday's Update

The boys are 5 days old today. I'm starting to get more comfortable in their NICU pod. At first it was intimidating as all get out and not exactly a relaxing environment. But the more we visit them the more comfortable we feel. When we got there today the boys' CPAP tubes had been removed (the big blue accordion-like tubing that ran from their nose around their head). They looked so much better without that tubing. The tops of their little caps had also been cut away, just leaving the lower rim to help keep their "sunglasses" in place. So we got to see more of their hair. I think they have blonde hair right now, but even if they do I know that can change. But Colin definitely has some wavy hair! He must get that from my Dad. In fact, he looks like a baby Justin Timberlake, ha. But we'll make sure he has better taste in music ;-) Brandon's hair seems straight and not wavy.

Speaking of Brandon I still didn't get to have Kangaroo time with him today. Pffft! His temp was a little low again, not sure why this time because he felt and seemed perfectly warm. But nonetheless I don't want him to have to expend energy keeping warm and lose weight, so I was okay leaving him under his heater and sun lamp. I did change his diaper twice while there today, and both times it had big poopy sludge in it. Ewww :) But that's a good thing because it means he is getting that meconium out of his belly.

Once again Colin got all of the snuggle time today. This time Bill held him first. I know he has been dying to hold the little fellers (and hasn't since Thursday), and unfortunately for him, they promote the Mom/Baby one-on-one time more than Daddy time. So Bill thoroughly enjoyed holding Colin for about 30 minutes or so. They even removed his little glasses and Colin opened his eyes a lot turning towards where he heard noises from. I know he can't really see diddly squat right now but its cool to see him starting to learn to use his little peepers. I held Colin next for a while and its always a treat. Though I started worrying that he had been out of his bed without the heater and sun lamp for a while and he just didn't feel as warm to me. So we waited for his nurse to get back so she could help us get him settled back in his warm bed. She had came by around 4:55pm and said "I'll be back in a minute", but she didn't actually come back until like 5:20pm or later and we were starting to get really irked and agigated because we were worried about Colin getting too cold. Finally we called over another nurse to help us figure out his heater and get him detangled. This particular nurse is definitely on my short list right now.

Oh, and Aunt Tibby came by around 1pm so that she could meet Colin and Brandon. That was so sweet of her to brave Roanoke just to see the boys. I hope she eventually found her car in the parking garage :) And for those Yankees and others reading this blog, down here in the South family nicknames are quite common. Ain't that right Mugsy and Fuzzy? ;-) Grandaddy called me "Cotton Top" for years, though thankfully that didn't stick into adulthood, ha.

1 comment:

  1. Colin and Brandon are so sweet and so tiny--and pretty. I was present when Alyssa was born and was the first to hold her--she weighed 9 lbs 10 oz. Bur the twins will catch up. I watched Mandy change one's diaper--with a tiny little sanitary napkin! Mandy, you looked beautiful--motherhood agrees with you.
    TY for the pic of the quilt--it will do nicely--I have it on my flash drive.
    LOve, Tibby

    ReplyDelete