Wednesday, February 10, 2010

We've got some movers and shakers

Colin and Brandon seem to get more active every day. Both could already roll from tummy to back and vice versa, but over the weekend Colin combined the two movements and did a "log roll", rolling 3 times right off the play mat on to the hardwood floor. But that didn't phase him at all. I suspect before long he will use the log roll as a way to get from point A to point B, at least until he can crawl. And that pediatric development specialist thought Colin would develop a little slower than Brandon, pfft ;) This reminds me that we really need to start baby proofing our house soon! Brandon might not be log rolling but he is a little Fred Astaire in the Jumperoo. He didn't know what to do in that thing 2 weeks ago, but now he LOVES it. Here is a short video of him playing in the Jumperoo the other day. Brandon is also starting to try and hold his own bottles - yay!! The other morning I left Brandon on the bed for just a minute while I took Colin to his daddy in another room. When I got back to the bedroom I heard a familiar sucking sound - Brandon had found his bottle that I had laid beside of him and had it in both hands holding it up to his mouth. He didn't quite have it high enough though as he was mostly getting air :) But it won't be long before he is holding is own bottles - hallelujah! Then it won't be such a chore to feed them simultaneously.

Both boys also really like to blow "strawberries" these days. They'll blow them while laying on the changing table, while being rocked before nap time (when we want them to be quiet), at 5am in the morning as soon as they wake up (again when a little quiet would be nice), and even while eating. Yeah, it's really cute until they do that with a mouthful of carrots which they end up spitting on you. Colin has also been opening and closing his hands a LOT for the past few weeks. It seemed really weird to us, and even had me a little worried (yeah, go figure). It just looks like a "nervous twitch" or something. But some other moms on my twin forum said more than likely he just recently discovered that he can control when his hand opens and closes and he is amazed by that new found trick so he does it often. And I'm sure they are right. Once he discovers something new he'll probably lay off the constant hand squeezing and concentrate on the new task.

Here is a picture of Brandon in the Jumperoo:


And here he is holding his bottle like a big boy (if only for a few seconds):


And here is Colin just being goofy chewing on a medicine dropper. They'll chew on anything including rubber tipped spatulas, wooden spoons, or any other kitchen gadget their Grammy hands them...


We're still dealing with frequent night wakings, or at least night stirrings, which always make me go running in there to pat their bottoms and rub their backs to sooth them back to sleep. A couple of nights ago I was so pleased that I didn't have to pick either baby up after 11pm and because they slept in until 5:40am. It wasn't exactly a peaceful night of sleep though due to me constantly running in there after seeing them fidget and stir on the monitor. My theory is that if you can get in there and comfort them before they get too worked up I can often times avoid the rocking and oh dark thirty bottle feeding. Or maybe I'm just paying too much attention to the monitor and losing sleep because of it. For the most part their pre-5am wakings have stopped, although Colin did wake at 4:45am this morning, sigh. Oh well, Bill is first responder tonight so I'm going to try and relax and get a good night's sleep! Hope everybody else can do the same. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment