Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The boys are in day care

Colin and Brandon finally got over their colds and croup, but not before giving the cold to their Grammy. Unfortunately this cold put Grammy out of commission for over a week and we decided now was the time to go ahead and put them in daycare since she had just started looking for a full-time job anyway. Of course, she thought she would have a few more weeks with the boys, as did we, so this change was a shock to everybody's system including the boys. I know Grammy misses them terribly. And finding day care around Blacksburg is not an easy task! All of the good, and even moderately decent day cares, have waiting lists. There was one day care center right near our house that had availability just the other week, but when we toured it recently we weren't impressed at ALL. Same goes for the other day care center whose infant room smelled like pee. Yuck! I got depressed just thinking about placing the boys in those daycare centers. However, when we were without childcare for over a week we were desperate so I tried to contact a lady at that facility near us repeatedly. Luckily she was out sick for a few days herself, because during that time I decided to expand my search to Christiansburg, and on Monday I called a local center and lo and behold they had availability for our boys! So that evening I started the process of gathering birth documents and pediatrician forms immediately without even seeing the place in person. The facility looked great on their website and they had a really good inspection record on the Department of Social Services's website. But truth be told they could have let their kids eat glue and shove crayons up their nose and we probably would have still chose them because we were desperate! However, yesterday we were VERY pleased at how clean and orderly the place was and the staff were very professional and polite. Yay! So this morning I took the boys to day care for the first time. I was fully expecting to be boohooing, especially if they were sobbing. But when we got to the infant room there were 3 other babies crawling around on the floor and I saw Brandon smiling at them from his stroller. Shortly after that I got the boys out of the double stroller and put them on the floor to meet their new friends. And they seemed quite content as you can see!



While the boys were so happy and crawling around exploring their surroundings I decided to sneak out the door before they realized that Mommy was leaving. So I left with nary a tear being shed! I did, however, call twice today to get an update on my sweeties. Their teacher said they devoured their lunch of cheese pizza, carrots, and peaches (more table food - yay!). She also said they were having troubling going down for a nap, which didn't surprise me at all. She said they thought that both boys finally gave up the fight and went to sleep so they walked away, only to turn around a minute later and see both boys standing up in their cribs smiling at each other playing handsies :) That image put a smile on my face! Their Daddy picked them up after work this afternoon and they were quite excited to see him. Anyway, their first day at daycare was a success and not nearly as traumatic as we feared it would be!

Brandon has been pulling up on everything for the last couple of weeks, and Colin just started pulling up in the past 2 days. Here is Brandon on Monday using the table pedestal to stand up with. It probably won't be long before he is walking, and Colin will probably follow suit a couple of weeks later. Then we're REALLY going to be in trouble!!



Lastly here is a video of the boys playing in the playpen. You will see that Brandon runs right over Colin, twice. At least Colin was in good humor this time and he laughed about it (sometimes he cries when B steamrolls him). It seems like we are constantly telling the boys how stinkin cute and sweet they are and how much we love them. I told Bill the other day that I was worried that we are going to have two egotistical brats who think they are the cutest thing to walk the earth, ha. But my friend Shelly assured me that ALL parents do that and their kids turn out just fine. Phew :)

Holy moly the boys will turn 1 year old a week from tomorrow!! That truly boggles my mind. We drove by the hospital yesterday evening and I commented to Bill how things sure had changed from 1 year ago, when we were attending child birth classes every Tuesday evening. Only to realize a week later that there wasn't going to be much learning since we got thrown to the wolves when these little stinkers decided to arrive 2.5 months early! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment