Monday, September 28, 2009

Another week passes by

I don't know where the time goes. It seems like its flying by in one sense, but in other ways everything seems the same (like the constant struggle to get the boys to take their full bottle). At least my return to work hasn't been that bad. I am going in an hour later than normal and working 9am to 5pm with an hour lunch, and then I make that other hour up from home in the evenings. The latter part is the most challenging, as it is really hard to concentrate on work when hearing fussy babies down the hallway. I come home for lunch every day to see the boys and give mom a short break so she can run out to Wilco to get a drink and get some fresh air. I think the hardest part of each day is just finding time to do simple things like fix dinner and wash and prepare bottles. It seems like there is ALWAYS a baby demanding my attention. Which explains why our house looks like a disaster zone with dust everywhere!

We take the boys for their 4 month check up tomorrow. Can you believe they are 4 months already?! We've got SEVERAL questions we want to ask the pediatrician. At the moment, with me holding a very fussy Brandon in a baby carrier because he woke up 10 minutes after being put down in the crib, I'm thinking the first question I want to ask is when should we try "cry it out" with the boys. I don't care what people say about "sleep training" supposedly being bad. I look at it as a way to teach them how to fall asleep and get a good night's sleep! These boys don't sleep as much as babies their age should (which is about 14 hours a day according to a baby book I have). We are lucky if they sleep 12, and it seems to mostly be naps of an hour or less at a time. Through the night we might get a good 2 or 3 hour stretch out of them, but more often than not they wake up 2 hours after finishing their last bottle to eat again. After we feed Brandon and Colin in the late evening (somewhere between 7pm and 8pm) we try to get them put down for bed. But that RARELY happens. One or both boys get fussy and we end up struggling with a crying baby (or two) until their next feeding session 2.5 to 3 hours later. Case in point: tonight where I'm holding Brandon and Bill has Colin downstairs because neither boy would sleep. And last night Brandon had a big crying spell where he wailed for over an hour. At one point we just had to put him in the guest room and let him cry for 20 minutes because we weren't able to sooth him at all. I suspect his reflux was bothering him but what can we do when his pediatrician didn't want to prescribe any reflux medicine last time?? We intend to bring that up again tomorrow. I don't want to drug our boys needlessly but I also think it is stupid to let them be miserable at times when a prescription would likely help.

Okay enough with the complaining, here are a couple of pictures of the boys :) In the next two pictures the boys are wearing Pooh outfits that my Uncle Randall and Aunt Dreama got them. And they are so cute in them! Brandon has a cute expression in the first picture, and it looks like he is punching Colin in the next one, ha.



And here is a face we see on Colin fairly regularly in the evenings, heh. I want to try and get some pictures of them with various facial expressions (from crying to smiling) and eventually make a black and white collage out of them.


Well that's all for now. I actually want to upload a video from our Flip camcorder to YouTube but I can't find the stupid cord to the Flip right now, so I'll edit this post later (hopefully by tomorrow sometime) with a link to a short video of Brandon sitting in his little rocker chair where he has discovered the mobile on it and has started batting at the toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment