Thursday, May 28, 2009

They're heeeeere!!

I didn't get a chance to post yesterday because the boys decided they weren't going to stay a day longer in the womb. Obviously they get their impatience from me :) I had mild contractions all night Tuesday night, similar to the ones I was having Friday night which is when I went to Montgomery Regional for monitoring. But early Wednesday morning they seemed to get a little stronger and when the doctor checked me I was a good 5-6cm as of 7am. The contractions weren't horrible, just enough to make me sometimes hold my breath and pull my toes up, but that was it. However when the nurse asked if I wanted something for the pain I said Sure! She gave me some dilaudid then and lawdy mercy did that take the edge off of the contractions, heh. I was all smiles texting away, sending emails, talking on the phone, etc. Around 4pm they checked me again and I was 9cm. The nurse commented that it wasn't everyday that she saw a woman that far dilated smiling and laughing. Shortly thereafter they gave me an epidural which was a piece of cake. After that I just laid around doing more texting, emailing, etc. As you can see labor was excrutiating for me ;-) At first the doctors decided not to break my water or do anything to progress labor because they wanted to buy the babies more time in the womb (6, 12, 24 hrs, whatever they could get). But later another doctor talked to us and she said that based on their presentation her concern was that if active labor started on its own and Baby A quickly came down the birth canal that he could have the cord around him and then we would be in an emergency situation. For that reason she preferred a "controlled delivery" where they could position him where they wanted him and then break the water. Her justification made sense to us so off to the OR we went. I finally put my iPhone down at that point, LOL.

Once in the OR they spent about 20 minutes or so pushing on my tummy and getting Baby A positioned appropriately, then it was "go time." And at 8:15pm Brandon Cole literally popped right out after a few pushes (they had to catch him!). He weighed 2 lb 11 oz and we heard him crying right away. After they they worked for another 15 minutes or so to position Baby B accordingly they then gave me the all clear to push him out, and at 8:38pm Colin Bryce was born weighing 2 lb 15 oz. He was a little quieter but still looked really well for a 29.5 week baby. We were so relieved at that point that Brandon and Colin were here and that a C-section was avoided!!

After that I went to the recovery room while they got the boys all set up in their "pods" in the NICU. By that point I was starving since I had only had ice chips all day (in case they had to do an emergency C-section), so Daddy brought Mommy back a big, greasy cheeseburger and fries. Yum! Once the boys were settled into the NICU we went up to visit them. They are pretty tiny, obviously, but the NICU nurses say they are doing great. As of last night both were breathing on their own without the aid of a ventilator (just a CPAP tube for extra pressure). They said sometimes they can tucker out after a while and need to go on the ventilator but not always and if they do that it is perfectly normal. They were both squeezing Bill's finger in their tiny little hands last night :) I'll post some pictures when I get a chance. They will probably be there for at least 4 weeks, but probably more like 6-8 weeks. That stinks but we know they are receiving excellent care and that when they do come home they will be super healthy.

I expect to be released sometime tomorrow, though that hasn't been confirmed. But I can't imagine them keeping me any longer because I'm doing so well.

Gotta run!

No comments:

Post a Comment