I never knew how hard it could be to burp a baby. Our boys seem to have the most stubborn burps! And if you can't get them to burp they won't finish taking their bottle with that air bubble in the way. They've always been stingy with their buprs, but the last day or so has been ridiculous. Last night it was near impossible to get them to burp. I tried every burp position I could think of and even found a couple of new ones online, but it was still like pulling teeth to get a burp from these little guys! For instance, I started feeding them at 4am this morning, but could only get part of their bottles down as they developed an air bubble they needed to get out and they would purse their lips and not finish their bottle. So for 45 minutes I tried and tried to get burps out of the boys. At 5am I was pacing the bedroom with Colin over my shoulder patting his back while trying to jostle him up and down hoping a burp would slip out. It didn't. Then I put him in the rocker chair and turned on the vibration hoping it would jolt a burp loose. It didn't. Finally though I got a small burp out of Colin so at 5:15am I could finally start giving him the rest of his bottle. And then I had to go through the burping ordeal all over again. I had the same problem with Brandon during this time as well. So their 4am feeding session wasn't over until 6am. And I thought with their meal getting so delayed during that time that they wouldn't be hungry until later, but no, at 7am both babies woke up and wanted to be fed again. Uggg.
The fact is I live for burps and poops. How sad is that? Anything that will help alleviate their tummy woes which can lead to crying spells. If one of the boys gives a super loud belch I say "Atta boy!" If I think I smell a poopy diaper I get excited and rush to go change it, only to find out that often times it is just a false alarm. This is what my life has become :)
I also don't know how we are supposed to increase their feedings (which would allow them to go longer through the night before needing to be fed again) given how long it currently takes them to finish a measley 2.5 ounces. Colin actually does pretty good and is taking closer to 3 ounces. In fact there has been a role reversal. Colin is now our super fast bottle taker and Brandon is our sloooow bottle taker (whereas in the NICU it was the complete opposite). I was so sick of Brandon wasting formula and not finishing his bottles that I knocked him back to 2 to 2.25 ounces a couple of days ago. I feel like I'm still in the NICU force feeding our babies to take all of their formula. It's a little frustrating if you couldn't tell :)
I'll be going back to work in a few weeks and I have no idea how I'm going to manage then if I'm still just getting 3-4 hours of sleep each night. Thank God Mom has been coming over every morning which allows me to get a good nap so I can feel human again.
Okay I am through whining. Sorry I don't have any new pictures to post. I know you guys would much rather see pictures of the boys than listen to me whine :) I'll try to get some new pictures posted soon though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment